A Message From Lesley
Getting yourself fitter in everyday life!
Its not always about getting to class, you can help yourself during your normal working day:
- During the TV commercials – do a plank or some sit ups!
- Whilst waiting for the kettle to boil – do squats with bicep curls holding the milk bottle! Or how about some push ups holding onto the edge of the worktop!
- Waiting for the computer to boot up, leg lifts to side and rear.
- Instead of texting or emailing a colleague, actually get up and go and talk to them and whilst talking on the phone, you could just walk about the home or the office.
- Putting petrol in the car, often there is a little step close by, step up and down whilst fuelling the car
- Don’t sit at your desk to eat your lunch – take yourself outside (weather permitting) go for a walk, find a bench and sit down to eat your lunch and then walk back again. Aim for 10K a day.
- Always park the furthest from the supermarket doors. I have often been amazed to see people drive round and round the car park to find the nearest spot and then go into the gym!!
- Get off the bus/train/tube a stop earlier and walk the last bit! Time yourself and try to improve the speed each day!
- Always take the stairs instead of the lift or escalator.
- Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to move every 30 minutes!
- Going on holiday – don’t just sit at the airport, move around – don’t moan about any queing, think of it as exercise!
Whilst doing all of these exercises you should be holding your tummy in – Abdominal Bracing – drawing up from the pelvic floor, pulling your belly button to your spine and don’t hold your breath. Abdominal bracing can be done anywhere, whilst standing in the supermarket queue, sitting at red traffic lights, just walking about, etc
In the 1950’s a study was done comparing bus conductors (who stand) and bus drivers (who sit).The bus drivers were found to be twice as likely to develop heart disease.
Putting these simple ideas into practice, could really help to improve your fitness levels and well being. Give it a go!