A Message From Lesley
Tips for Losing Weight
Successful diet tips – it’s not rocket science but a reminder can be useful!
Two days a week, consecutively if possible, fast from your evening meal until lunch time the next
day, ensuring you have lots of fluids. Ensure you eat breakfast on the other days and please check
out the breakfast recipes on this website.
2. Eat regular meals. It reduces the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar. Maybe you
would be better to have 6 small meals a day rather than the normal 3 if this will help prevent
3. Eat plenty of fruit and veg.
Fruit and vegetables are low in calories and fat, and high in fibre – 3 essential ingredients for
successful weight loss. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals.
4. Get more active. Being active is key to losing weight and keeping it off. As well as providing numerous health benefits, exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can’t cut through diet alone. Find an activity you enjoy and are able to fit into your routine.
5. Drink plenty of water and ensure you start your day with hot water and lemon. People sometimes
confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really
what you need.
6. Eat high-fibre foods. Foods containing lots of fibre can help keep you to feel full, which is perfect
for losing weight. Fibre is found in food from plants, such as fruit and vegetables, oats, wholegrain
bread, brown rice, pasta, beans, peas and lentils.
7. Read food labels. Knowing how to read food labels can help you choose healthier options. Use the
calorie information to work out how a particular food fits into your daily calorie allowance on the
weight loss plan. If you haven’t already got one, then install Myfitnesspal to calculate what you are
eating or write it down!
8. Use a smaller plate. Using smaller plates can help you eat smaller portions. By using smaller plates
and bowls, you may be able to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without going hungry. It
takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full, so eat slowly and stop eating before
you feel full.
9. Don’t ban foods. Don’t ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like.
Banning foods will only make you crave them more. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy the occasional
treat as long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance.
10. Don’t stock junk food. To avoid temptation, try to not stock junk food – such as chocolate,
biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks – at home. Instead, opt for healthy snacks, such as fruit,
unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn.
11. Cut down on alcohol. A standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of
chocolate. Over time, drinking too much can easily contribute to weight gain. After a glass of wine,
the crisps can look all too inviting. Turn your tipple into a spritzer or drive, that way you won’t have
12. Plan your meals. Try to plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week, making sure
you stick to your calorie allowance. Make a shopping list and stick to it.
Try to mix with like minded people, stay away from the Negative Nellies and keep as active in your
everyday life as you can. Always taking the stairs instead of the lift, walk where possible and park the
furthest from the supermarket entrance! Anything to keep you active and get to class as much as