Tips for Healthy Heart
You know someone who has high blood pressure?
Who takes statins?
Who has diabetes?
Someone with high cholesterol?
Who has had a heart attack?
Who has lost someone to heart disease?
Is a smoker?
There is a common belief that heart disease only affects middle aged, overweight men. But heart disease wears a skirt too!
Heart disease is the UK’s biggest killer but it is also the single biggest killer of women in the UK. It kills 3 times more women than breast cancer as well as there being over 1 million women living with heart disease. Research has shown that women do not put their own health needs as a priority over family and other commitments, so it is more likely to be missed!
So What Can You Do About It?
- Keep to a healthy weight and shape
- Get active
- Reduce the amount of fat you eat
- Aim for 5 portions of fruit and veg a day
- Eat oily fish – in moderation a good source of Omega 3. Think SMASH – sardine, mackerel, anchovy, salmon and herring
- Cut down on salt
- Drink alcohol in moderation
- Reduce your stress – learn how to relax more!
- Stop smoking!
- Get a health check
If you want further information, please visit https://www.bhf.org.uk/
See you in class
Big Hugs and Little Tummies
love Lesley x